After I posted this bread on Instagram over the weekend, I had no idea that the reaction would be so enthusiastic for this recipe! I’m excited to share it with you, but I didn’t have time to remake it and photograph the step-by-step instructions. So just read through the instructions so you are familiar with the steps and you’ll be fine. I originally developed this recipe for Clean Eating Magazine and the editors went crazy for this bread. I’m not grain-free but I really like grain-free baked goods. They’re higher in protein, lower in carbohydrates (usually) and they last longer in the fridge.
Is this bread just like wheat sandwich bread? No. But it is the best grain-free sandwich bread I have ever tried. There are many that are cashew butter-based and those have a quick bread consistency, like the texture of a banana bread. No chew at all. This bread has an amazing texture with a chewy crust and it toasts up beautifully. It’s also easier and faster than a yeast-based bread.
The ingredients are a little random and you may not have all of them in your pantry. Sorry! But everything can be purchased at Whole Foods. If you are annoyed by all the egg whites, again I apologize. But this really is the best grain-free sandwich bread. You can use the yolks in cookie recipes, to make pudding or ice cream, or just add an extra yolk or two every time you make an omelet or frittata. Can someone who is proficient in Passover rules let me know if this recipe is Passover compliant? If so, this could be a game changer!
I have to make this quick today because I am working around the clock to launch my first online cooking class. It’s reallllly close!
- olive oil for greasing loaf pan
- 2 ½ cups blanched almond flour (not almond meal)
- ¾ cup tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- ¼ cup golden flaxseed meal (golden blends into the bread better than brown flax meal)
- 2 Tablespoons psyllium husk
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 8 large egg whites
- 2 Tablespoon unrefined, cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ⅔ cup boiling water
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease an 8-inch x 4-inch loaf pan with olive oil and line it with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour, flaxmeal, psyllium husk, salt and baking soda in a bowl until well combined and lump-free.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine egg whites, olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Add flour mixture to the egg white mixture and beat on medium-low to combine well. You are not trying to whip the egg whites Pour in the boiling water and blend on medium-low speed for 1 minute.
- Transfer batter to the prepared pan.
- Prepare the egg wash: in a small bowl, beat 1 whole egg with water and brush over top of loaf.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, then carefully remove the loaf from the pan. Place the bread loaf back into the oven right on the oven rack. Bake until loaf forms a golden crust, about 10-15 minutes.
- Cool the bread completely on a cooling rack before slicing.
- Store bread at room temperature in an airtight container or wrapped well with plastic wrap for up to 3 days. Or store well-wrapped in the refrigerator for up to one week.