My favorite game day of the year is just over a week away. Yes, the Super Bowl! Whereas I may not be having a party or even watching with friends this year, Hubs and the kids and I plan on enjoying the game together WITH ALL THE SNACKS.
Quarantine is hard enough. At least let us have our game day snacks! For sure, I will make a big sheet pan of vegan nachos, guacamole and crudites, probably a pot of vegetable chili or do a baked potato bar. And this! I am calling it a taco pizza. Take your favorite pizza dough or even packaged naan bread (which IMO is a perfect swap for an individual pizza – it’s like a prebaked crust), and load it up with all the taco/burrito fixings.
I like to spread a base or refried beans over the crust and bake, and then top with raw toppings like lettuce, pickled onions, jalapenos, tomatoes and avocado. Of course, everything is better with my vegan cheese sauce. I also added a little cooked plant-based “meat” to this one. We don’t eat products like Beyond Meat often, but it’s fun for a treat and Hubs and my son like it because it really comes close to the actual thing. I just took my homemade taco seasoning from this recipe and cooked the ground Beyond Meat just as if it was ground beef.
There are so many ways to make this. In fact, you can give everyone his or her own “section” of the pizza to customize it. This could be a fun snack during the game or a whole meal since there is plenty of protein and, depending on how you top it, good healthy fiber and fat. With a big Mexican chopped salad, I say let’s get this party started!
I can’t wait to see your twist on this Taco Pizza, so please tag me @pamelasalzman #pamelasalzman. I love checking out all your awesome creations!
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 cup refried beans, room temp is fine
- Unrefined olive oil for greasing pan
- 1 pound pizza dough, at room temperature*
- Cheese (or skip if the queso is enough) - just eyeball the amount
- Other options:
- Cooked ground meat or plant meat alternative or skip since the beans are enough, seasoned with 1 ½ teaspoons prepared taco seasoning or check out my taco seasoning recipe
- shredded lettuce
- Avocado, guacamole or avocado crema
- Vegan cheese sauce/queso
- Tomatoes, if in season
- Scallions or pickled onions (there's a great recipe in Kitchen Matters for quick pickled onions)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine salsa and refried beans (by combining them, the crust won’t get soggy if using the salsa separately.)
- Lightly grease a quarter sheet pan with oil. Roll the dough to fit and then stretch it to reach all four corners.
- Spread the salsa-bean mixture on top of the crust, spreading it evenly. Top with shredded cheese, if using. Bake pizza for 18-20 minutes or until the crust is crispy and golden brown.
- Top with cooked taco meat or meat alternative. Drizzle with vegan queso if using.
- Then top with raw ingredients like shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, cilantro, and or scallions/pickled onions.
- Drizzle the top of the whole thing with sour cream or avocado crema or dollops of guacamole or chopped avocado. Serve immediately.
You can use a half sheet pan if using a 1 pound 6 ounce pizza dough.
looks delicious. I’ve been making my own pizza dough and looking for creative toppings. I’m not good with estimates… about what size is 1/2 baking sheet. Thanks
A half sheet pan measures about 13 x 18 inches. Sizing may vary slightly by brand.
I just sent this to my sister- who has been on a journey to become vegan the last year. This looks amazing! I hope they can come over soon so I make this for a Mexican night… maybe when Mom and Dad come to visit us next month!
Perfect! Really easy to adapt this recipe to many dietary preferences.
Thank you! Again!