With Thanksgiving less than 2 weeks away, now is a great time to do a test-run of any recipes you would like to include on your holiday menu, but have never made before. I will not actually be cooking this week because my husband and I will be following the Fasting Mimicking Diet, a 5-day fast with food. Everything you need to consume over the 5-day fast is sent to you in a box, so you don’t have to think about doing much. I don’t do juice cleanses, diets, detoxes, or anything else. But I have done this fast twice before and I felt fantastic. I have done a lot of research on the subject of fasting and I am sold on its benefits for longevity. My friend Dr. Vivian Chen @plateful.health did a wonderful Instagram post with other benefits of fasting which include:
- improved insulin sensitivity – better sugar control = less insulin, with the potential downstream effect of fat loss, particularly visceral ie belly fat (because insulin is the fat storage hormone.)
- repair and detoxification – much of the body’s energy expenditure goes on digestion. when you fast, your body is ‘freed up’ to perform other functions – a nightly 12 hour ‘fast’ will also serve this function.
- preliminary studies also show fasting may increase beneficial gut bacteria strains such as Akkermansia Mucinophilia. (Akkermansia has been implicated in healthy weight control and more recently in cancer therapies.)
- If you want to find out more about fasting, register for the FREE Global Fasting week organized by @Fastingtalks and listen to experts like @drjkahn @joelfuhrmanmd @drjasonfung.
- If you want to join me in Prolon’s Fasting Mimicking Diet, use my code: Pamela25 to get 10% off the kit or Pamelasubs to get a discount on a subscription. Feel free to ask me any questions here. I will also be documenting the process on Instagram stories.
Speaking of Instagram, I will continue the Thanksgiving theme LIVE on Monday, November 12th at 5:00 pm PST/8:00 pm EST. Bring all your questions! After the video disappears, I will post on my Facebook page where you can find previous Instagram LIVES.
I will be doing a bonus Instagram Live with Candace Nelson, founder of Sprinkles Cupcakes, on Thursday, November 15th at 2:30 pm PST/5:30 pm EST. We will discuss making pie dough and pies! Here’s your dinner planner for the week:
Meatless Monday: Red Lentil Dal with roasted organic broccolini and roasted organic red onions
Tuesday: Roast Turkey, or turkey breast, so you can practice for Thanksgiving, with Braised Fennel with Tomatoes and Thyme from my cookbook. Serve with a fresh organic green salad and olive oil, vinaigrette and sea salt.
Wednesday: Roasted wild fish served, brushed with unrefined extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper and baked at 400 degrees for 10 minutes/inch and served with One Pot Farro with Cauliflower and Golden Raisins
Thursday: Lemony Chickpea Soup with a side of simple avocado toast.
Here’s what you can do ahead if you need to:
Wash and dry all veggies
Make all dressings, marinades and sauces
Make Citrus Sage Tonic
For ALL my Thanksgiving Recipes and Tips, check out my new Thanksgiving eBook!
Here’s a link to my previous dinner planners.
I have LOVED seeing all your creations of my recipes on Instagram. If you make any of my recipes, please tag me @pamelasalzman #pamelasalzman so I can check them out!